BATON ROUGE, LA – September 3, 2012 – (RealEstateRama) — Homeowners, renters and business owners in five Louisiana parishes who sustained property damage as a result of Hurricane Isaac are urged to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) as soon as possible.

The presidential disaster declaration for Hurricane Isaac now makes available federal assistance to eligible survivors in Jefferson, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. John and St. Tammany parishes.

“We urge you to contact FEMA if you were affected by this hurricane,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Gerard M. Stolar. “As Louisiana’s federal partner in disaster recovery, FEMA folks are here to help.”

Survivors in the five parishes who sustained uninsured or underinsured Isaac-related damage to their homes, vehicles, personal property, business or its inventory beginning Aug. 26, 2012, can register for assistance starting Friday.

Survivors can register online at www.disasterassistance.gov or via smartphone at m.fema.gov. Applicants may also call 1-800-621-3362 or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. If you use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.

Federal disaster assistance helps eligible applicants with emergency home repairs, uninsured personal property losses and medical, dental and funeral expenses caused by the disaster. It also helps cover other disaster-related expenses and other needs.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, nonfarm businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture and most private nonprofit organizations of any size.  These disaster loans cover uninsured and uncompensated losses and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations.

Residents of the five parishes should register with FEMA even if they have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but underinsured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.

Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if the person has registered with another disaster-relief organization such as the American Red Cross, or local community or church organization. FEMA registrants must use the name that appears on their Social Security card. Applicants will be asked to provide:

  • Social Security number
  • Address of the damaged home or apartment
  • Description of the damage
  • Information about insurance coverage
  • A current contact telephone number
  • An address where they can get mail
  • Bank account and routing numbers if they want direct deposit of any financial assistance.

Editors: For more information on Louisiana disaster recovery, visit online at www.fema.gov/disaster/4080 or www.gohsep.la.gov. You can follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/femaregion6 or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/FEMA. Also visit our blog at www.fema.gov/blog.